Thursday, October 2, 2014

Random Running Ramblings

I have no real focus for my blog this week. With just a month to go to the half, things are starting to get real, so I'll just share some random thoughts from the last few weeks -- in no particular order, a top ten list of sorts.

1.  Things are starting to hurt. I need to get to the chiropractor, but the time that I would go is usually devoted to getting my runs in. I took today off because of pain in my hip flexor and what I think might be a slightly sprained ankle.  Nothing that hurts too much, but a day of rest probably would do more good than harm. I'm hoping that, at least, but I can't help freaking out a bit when I miss training. Chiropractor visit definitely needs to happen . . .

2.  I see some weird things when I run around my house. I saw an upright bottle of wine on the side of the road on a long run that made me think of my friend Heidi who used to leave water bottles on her route. Maybe she left me a bottle of wine? And I didn't stop to see if it was opened or not, so don't ask. I also see a lot of roadkill -- one long run offered two skunks (awesome) a snake, a squirrel, and a bird. Just one run. Pretty crazy.

3. I scared away a cow the other day. A cow. On one of my routes there are some small brown shaggy cows. They seem pretty docile, but how can one really tell? The first time I ran by them I noticed a gap in the fence that I was pretty sure cows could escape from. On my next run by them I heard a rustling. I looked over to see one climbing up out of the pasture and up to the road. Several thoughts go through your head when a cow is approaching you on a run. 1.) Is it a bull? Will it charge me? 2.) These cars need to slow down because they could hit a cow. 3.) Can I outrun a bull? 4.) I should have brought my pepper spray. Would that have helped? 5.) Can I outrun a bull? It could be a bull. . . For whatever reason, though, the cow saw me, stopped in its tracks, and turned and ran the other way. I scared away a cow. I am a beast.

4. I should not tell my mother about the cow. Or about the fact that I run on Hackett Hill Road. That will make her nervous. She'd also be pissed to know I still don't have one of those Runner ID things. But since she's reading this, my Catholic guilt is now assuaged.

5. New shoes are in my future. I am now a devoted Mizuno runner. I'll go to Runner's Alley and just get the latest model. I am such a freak about socks and shoes -- they are probably the most important element of my running gear.

6. I used to love GU, but on my last few runs I had to choke it down. I used to look forward to getting to the time on my run where I needed my GU, but I am concerned I'll have to find another long run fuel. I welcome suggestions from fellow runners.

7. I need to start planning what to wear for the half. My outfit planning is some of my most stressful race day preparation, even for a 5k. I will definitely sport the headband my cousin sent me -- it says "I <3 Running." I think she's trying to convince me. Or trying to help me convince myself. Either way, I will wear it in solidarity with her. I'll also wear my "balance bracelet" that she bought for me at the expo when we ran the Disney Princess 1/2. It's probably snake oil, but I wear it to think of her as I run. It helps me remember there's someone running alongside of me even when I'm running alone and that I have done this before. It helps me remember I am strong enough to do this. I also wear running skirts. Being cute is not the reason I wear them, but it doesn't hurt. The real reason is I get so annoyed with my shorts bunching up between my thighs that I spend the whole time pulling at them and hating my run. Skirts have solved this problem. In cooler weather I do capris or pants.

8. My cousin's blog is so awesome! You can find it at jenhaught.blogspot.com.  She's been interviewing some notable runners including Bart Yasso. Check it out!

9. I got a message from a woman in Colombia who found my last blog entry through my cousin. It was tough to write, but from all the feedback and private messages I've gotten from women, it seems we all share elements of the same story. 

10. A few of my friends and I are starting a running group at school for non-athlete girls. We are hoping it helps them have a positive connection to school and a place for them to feel supported. I'm also thinking of submitting my latest blog entry to Dove as part of their #FeelBeautifulFor campaign.We'll see.

One month until the half!


1 comment:

  1. Love this, but get a Runners ID bracelet!!! You gotta be safe :) I haven't been a fan of GU, I use Cytomax chews. I really like them. Thanks for the shout out, love you!

    ReplyDelete